Districts in the National Register of Historic Places
Riverside Historic District
Representative Sample of Properties
1. WRIGHT HOUSE (24 East 24th Street) 1930 This home is a Tudor Revival, sits on two lots and has strong Gothic accents. It has a red brick facade accentuated by cut limestone. There is a large porte-cochere with Gothic style arches. The son of a farmer, Clarence H. Wright rose from poverty to become a successful dry goods and ladies ready-to-wear merchant. He later led Sunray Oil Company in a series of mergers, including the 1955 Mid-Continent Petroleum merger.
2. HURLEY HOUSE (2700 South Boston Avenue) 1920 This home is a Tudor Revival, two and a half story cream stucco house overlooking the Arkansas River. The yard has an iron fence with columns. The entrance has a detached guard house and the drive leads up to a wide porte-cochere. The Hurleys, who originally platted the Riverside Drive Addition, lived in the house from 1920 to 1929. Later, John Duncan Forsyth designed an addition on this mansion that included a library with a bedroom suite above.
3. MAYO HOUSE (2301 South Boston Avenue) 1925 This home is a Dutch Colonial and has a stone exterior with a slate gambrel roof. It has three large dormer windows and limestone columns flanking the entry. The front door is a heavy paneled door with side lights and glass transoms. There is a large porte-cochere and detached garage with carriage doors. In 1903, the Mayo brothers formed a partnership and opened a furniture store in the 200 block of South Main. They later financed some of Tulsa’s finest buildings including: a five-story office building constructed at Fifth and Main in 1910, the Petroleum Building constructed at Boulder and Fifth in 1920, and a hotel constructed at Fifth and Cheyenne in 1925 that was appropriately named the Mayo Hotel.
4. RANNEY HOUSE (2703 Riverside Drive) 1924This home is a Dutch Colonial. The wall material and the chimney are made of stone. It has a gambrel roof. Clark Ranney was vice president of exploration for the C.J. Wrightsman Oil Corporation. The Ranneys first arrived in Tulsa in 1923. Ranney later started the Ranney-Wilson Rig Building Company. The structure features a replica of a log cabin in the basement.