Districts in the National Register of Historic Places
Tracy Park Historic District
Primary Residential Construction: 1919-1925
District Boundary Map | Sample Properties | Printable BookletsBoundries: North: 11th Street East: Peoria Avenue South: SE interchange of Inner Dispersal Loop West: SE interchange of Inner Dispersal Loop
The Tracy Park Historic District is a small pocket of houses nearly surrounded by expressways and commercial development. It consists of approximately seventy residences built in the early 1920s in the Ridgewood Addition that once abutted the Central Business District and the prestigious Maple Ridge neighborhood to the south. It was reduced in size by demolition necessary for construction of the southeast interchange of the Inner Dispersal Loop.
Primarily residential in character, this small neighborhood contains bungalows and two-story frame and brick houses originally built for Tulsa’s growing, oil-related middle class, managers, small businessmen and a few professionals. The neighborhood conveys a sense of historical and architectural cohesiveness as expressed in the eclectic style found in many 1920s developments. Clapboard, stucco, and brick were used by Tulsa builders in their adaptations of Georgian Revival, Dutch Colonial, Spanish, Cottage and Bungalow styles.
The deed restrictions controlling construction in the Ridgewood Addition made it one of the first standardized subdivision developments in Tulsa. There are blocks of bungalows north of 12th Street, but south of 12th Street the deed restrictions required two-story housing. These restrictions helped to produce the neighborhood scale that unified Tracy Park’s eclectic architecture.
The area contains two buildings listed on the Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory. One of these, the “French Cottage,” now has a commercial use, as do nearly all of the original residences on the west side of Peoria. The other Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory building is the Art Deco residence of Adah Robinson, designed by Robinson and her student, Bruce Goff.
Tracy Park was placed in the Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory in July of 1978. Tracy Park was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on September 20, 1982, under National Register criteria A and C. Its NRIS number is 820003707.Subdivisions
|Plat No.||Plat Date|
Representation in Existing SurveysNational Register of Historic Places — September 20, 1982 Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory — District, July, 1978 Local Inventory — Fall, 1977; July, 1991