Districts in the National Register of Historic Places
Maple Ridge Historic District
Primary Residential Construction: 1905-1940s
District Boundary Map | Sample Properties | Printable BookletsBoundries: North: Inner Dispersal Loop East: Peoria Avenue South: Hazel Boulevard West: Midland Valley Railroad right of way
One of the largest historic areas, Maple Ridge encompasses many residential subdivisions beginning with the Southside Addition, platted in 1907. In 1915, local builder John Blair reported that Admiral Bird McGuire, an early home-owner in Maple Ridge, stated that “No woman of any social importance would live outside of the Railroad tracks.” He proved to be mistaken when the Maple Ridge, Morningside and Maple Park subdivisions began to attract oilmen who could no longer easily buy lots north and west of downtown. The subdivisions were designed exclusively for large and expensive homes. The subdivision regulations were Oklahoma’s first. Oil and banking magnates Grant McCollough, W. G. Skelly, Harry Tyrell, Alfred and Lionel Aaronson, J. J. McGraw, R. Otis McClintock, J. Paul Getty and Waite Phillips were all residents.
Although residential construction spans nearly thirty years, Maple Ridge’s north, central, south and southwest sectors are contiguous and similar in style and scale. The north neighborhood is the oldest and is comprised largely of two-story brick and clapboarded mansions dating from approximately 1912. The central sector is a later and larger version of the northern mansions. The south and southwest sectors date from the late 1920s through the early 1930s with smaller two-story brick bungalows, Spanish stuccos and adaptations of classical styles.
The Maple Ridge Historic Residential District is significant because the development of the Maple Ridge area paralleled the growth of the banking and oil industry in Tulsa in the early 20th century. The men and women who made their wealth in the Glenn Pool Oil Strike of 1905, and later the Cushing strike of 1912, were the people who built their homes in Maple Ridge.
Once referred to as “Black Gold Row,” Maple Ridge’s homes have been well maintained and are sought after by Tulsa’s upper-middle income families. The Maple Ridge Homeowners Association has been active since 1964.
Maple Ridge was the first Tulsa neighborhood to be listed in the Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory. It was placed on the National Register on April 6, 1983, under National Register Criteria A and C. Its NRIS number is 83002138.Subdivisions
|Plat No.||Plat Date|
|Adams and Reddin Resub.||1027||9/24/30|
|Better Homes Sub.||1097||4/25/38|
|Indian Woods Amd.||737||5/26/25|
|Maple Heights||185||5/8/16 (ded.)|
|South Side 2nd||140||Not on file|
|Sunset Park Addition||153||10/14/16|
|Sunset Park 2nd||371||3/5/20|
|Sunset Park 3rd||1155||10/19/40|
|Woodward Tower Add.||2462||4/23/63|
Representation in Existing SurveysNational Register of Historic Places — April 6, 1983 Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory — Maple Ridge, July, 1976 Local Inventory — June, 1978; July, 1991 Cultural Resources in the Tulsa Urban Study Area, by Kelly C. Duncan, edited by Annetta L. Cheek, Archaeological Research Associates Report #14, 1977: Maple Ridge, p. 41.