Buildings in the National Register of Historic Places
1381 South Riverside Drive (map it)
This building, designed by Architect Bruce Goff, is a two-story stucco building set on a sloping site facing the Arkansas River. The design of the building reflects an influence of both Art Deco and the International Style but with a more personalized interpretation. The underlying inspiration for the design is music, evoking a concept that architecture might be interpreted as “frozen music.” This theme is visualized in the treatment of the windows on the façade of the building.
The building was designed for Mrs. Patti Adams Shriner, a music teacher who wanted to combine a music studio for teaching piano lessons with her living quarters. The rhythm of windows and inset tile forming diagonal patterns on the walls of the entrance hall drew their inspiration from musical scales. The round window on the front of the building derived its decorative pattern from musical scores that Goff composed while he was working on the design. Even the fountain designed by Alphonso Iannelli used abstract marble sculpture with pipes that dripped water over the sculpture onto chromimium cups. These were of varying size to create music-like tones as the water splashed into the pool below. The rigid cubism is reinforced by an enormous round window and other geometric shapes, creating a modernity of form. Today it is a theater hosting the dramatic performance of an old fashioned melodrama, “The Drunkard.”
The Riverside Studio was listed in the listed in the National Register on June 14, 2001. It was listed under criterion C and its NRIS number is 01000656.