Buena Vista Park Historic District
Representative Sample of Properties
- 1. VEASEY HOUSE (1802 South Cheyenne Avenue) 1912
- In keeping with its Colonial Revival style, the Veasey house has a simplicity of detailing and tailored design, meshing the most basic motifs of the period. It is a two-story Colonial Revival building with a pitched roof, covered with composition shingles. The house, constructed of clapboard siding and painted white, is “T”-shaped in plan. The gabled roof has cornice returns, dentil molding, and modillions on all eaves and rakes. A dormer with traceried windows dominates the roof and is centered above the entry. There is one exterior chimney and one interior chimney, both of natural brick finish.The Veasey House is significant to Tulsa for its historical association with James Alexander Veasey, the founder of Holland Hall School. Veasey built the house in 1912, after settling in Tulsa. He originally came to Oklahoma as a lawyer for the Dawes Commission. He lived in the building from 1912 until 1938, when he retired as Chief Counsel of Carter Oil Company, a subsidiary of Standard Oil Company of New Jersey. The house then passed to his daughter, Mary Veasey Leech, who continues to occupy it.The Veasey House was individually listed in the National Register on July 27, 1989 under Criteria C. Its NRIS number is 89001006.
- 2. CRESTVIEW MANOR (1830 South Cheyenne Avenue) 1919
- According to an interview with Mary Frances Walter O’Hornett, daughter of the first owner of this home, construction started two or three years prior to its completion in 1919. The home was designed and built two years after the McFarlin Mansion. This residence was designed and constructed by the architectural firm, Barnett Haynes Barnett, St. Louis, Missouri. They also designed the McFarlin home and the McFarlin Building, a downtown office building.The home was a gift from McFarlin to his daughter Pauline and her husband, Fred Walter, and is of the Italian Renaissance style. The three-story stucco and brick home features winged porches with heavy square columns and a tile deck. The facade of the building opens to all sides with many exterior French doors and many windows. The clay tile roof is supported by ornate wide eaves with ornate brackets. The formal facade repeats the balance, with two wrought iron balconies flanking a large front window that once served as a door. The entryway is a garden room with an Italian tile floor and a lovely indoor fountain. The downstairs rooms have wide casement doors and archways, crown molding, stained glass, French marble fireplaces and French doors. The staircase to the top two floors is very unpretentious. The three bedroom, three one-half bath home also has many bonus rooms such as the upstairs sunroom with a view of the Arkansas River; the cozy, pine panel club room in the lower level, plus two other rooms now used as home offices by the present owners.The Walter family sold Crestview in 1939 and moved into the McFarlin mansion. According to his daughter, Frederick P. Walter made his fortune in real estate investments. The family shared its wealth with Tulsa and continues to do so through endowments, grants and gifts to the University of Tulsa, McFarlin Library and Trinity Episcopal Church.
- 3. SHEPPARD HOUSE (1904 South Cheyenne Avenue) 1916
- The residence was constructed with a Colonial Revival architectural theme. Four families have called the residence home over the past 75 years. John and Lydia Sheppard were the original owners of the property. Sheppard was the president of Sheppard Oil Company and was associated with the discovery of the old Boynton Pool in Muskogee County. In addition, he opened the Sheppard Pool, another production region southwest of Boynton. John Sheppard died October 23, 1927, and was survived by his widow and four daughters. The basement of this house was occupied by a manservant. When the 1921 Race Riot occurred, the family sent him in the touring car to bring black families to safety. They remained in the basement until the riot ended.
- 4. RIVERHOUSE (216 West 19th Street) 1923
- This contributing, three-story, brick, Colonial Revival style, multiple dwelling has a flat roof and a brick foundation. The wood windows are six-over-one and four over-one, hung. The wood door is glazed paneled with full-height sidelights and a storm door. The entry porch has a pedimented, front-gabled roof supported by tapered, round, Classical columns. Decorative details include dentilated cornice and triple windows.
- 5. APARTMENTS (1901 Riverside Drive) 1924
- This contributing, three-story, brick, Mission/Spanish Colonial Revival style, apartment building has a flat roof and a brick foundation. The wood windows are six-over-six, hung.
The wood doors are casement and set into pedimented surrounds. The full-width porch is uncovered and has a wrought iron railing. Other exterior features include four balconets on each floor and brick exterior chimneys.
Decorative details include double windows, green tile window awnings, decorative brickwork and a concrete coping encircling the building.
« Back to Buena Vista Park Historic District