Bradyheights Properties

Brady Heights Historic District

Representative Sample of Properties

1. ARLINGTON (620 North Denver Avenue) 1920
ArlingtonTate Brady built this home as an expression of faith in the future of north Tulsa, but by then, influential individuals were beginning to migrate southward. This two-and-one-half-story Greek Revival house was designed by Tulsa architect John Curtain. It was constructed with masonry load bearing walls with a white carthage stone facade from Carthage, Missouri.Originally built as a single-family residence for Tate Brady and his family, it was leased in World War II to the U.S. Government for use as apartments for defense workers and service mens’ families. The home is perched on the crest of a hill and at one time had a commanding view of Tulsa. The home was patterned and named after General Robert E. Lee’s home in Arlington, Virginia. The Bradys were Southerners and very active in the Sons and Daughters of the Confederacy. Robert E. Lee’s birthday was often celebrated at the Bradys’ by entertaining large numbers of people.
2. CENTENARY UNITED METHODIST CHURCH (631 North Denver Avenue) 1920
CentenaryThis Greek Revival edifice is home to a congregation that first assembled in 1906 as the Tigert Memorial Methodist Church in a building located a few blocks away. It is also reported to have been the first “mission” church of the Boston Avenue Methodist Church. Notable appointments include stained glass and egg-and-dart molding. The east wing was added in 1957.
3. HOPPING HOUSE (636 North Denver Avenue) 1914
Hopping HouseThe two-story J. S. Hopping house was unique because of its tile roof, buff-colored-brick and beautiful staircase inside. This house was built by Hopping in July of 1914 at a total cost of \$10,000. The architectural style is American Foursquare, based on the post-Victorian theme. The house has a storm cellar located below the basement with its own escape tunnel, complete with manhole cover in the backyard. Now rehabilitated, the original Hopping house’s buff-colored-brick and red-tiled roof are visually prominent features of Brady Heights’ south end.In 1917, a stranger named George Davis approached Hopping and inquired as to the sale price of the house. Hopping informed him it was not for sale. Davis continued, however, to ask him to put a price on the beautiful residence. Bowing to Davis’ persistence, Hopping put what he perceived to be a ridiculously high price tag of \$30,000 on his home. Two weeks later, Davis reappeared with the full amount in cash and, being a man of his word, Hopping sold him the house. Mr. Hopping later platted the Hopping Addition and built his home there. Subsequently, he sold that addition to Jim Gillette. The area now comprises the Gillette Historic District, the second National Register District in Tulsa. During his lifetime, Mr. Hopping owned significant parcels of land, including what is now the Barnard School, Keystone Dam, Port of Catoosa and the Mayo Hotel.
4. MENTENENGER HOUSE (715 North Denver Avenue) 1925
Mentenenger HouseThis house is a two-story, duplex, Prairie/American Foursquare with an Italian Renaissance influence. The terra cotta eave brackets were removed; but the arched window and door details remain. It has a full width, uncovered, front porch with closed balustrades. It has a hipped roof and is clad in stucco.
5. BLAIR HOUSE (762 North Denver Avenue) 1922
Blair HouseThe John Blair house is a classic example of a vernacular Prairie/American Foursquare. Designed by architect John Blair, it has two and one-half stories and a high-pitched, slightly flared roof, with a flat deck surrounded with a balustrade. It has wide hanging, bracketed eaves. The pedimented roof dormer with windows gives it a Victorian flavor. The balustrade in front of the dormer is often referred to by locals as a “widow’s walk.” The “widow’s walk” was common in Maine, where it described the area that a woman often paced, waiting and watching for her whaling fisherman to come home from the sea. Sadly, some never did, and the “widow’s walk” nickname became common.The John Blair House has a centered, front-entranced porch with round columns serving as porch supports. There are balustrades atop the front porch roof. It has a brick chimney on the north elevation. The windows are double hung with blank lower panes and twelve-light divided upper panes. The pedimented dormer gives this house a Colonial Revival flavor; however, the decorative balustrades also represent a Victorian influence.
6. WINTERINGER HOUSE (774 North Denver Avenue) 1912
Winteringer HouseActive in early Tulsa politics and businesses, the Winteringer family built this vernacular home that was representative of the period. This house is a two-story craftsman with a front gabled roof and dormers. It has a full-width front porch supported by tapered columns atop brick piers. It is sitting on a corner lot with retaining walls at the city sidewalks.
7. CURTAIN HOUSE (902 North Denver Avenue) 1911
Curtain HouseJ. P. Curtain, architect of Tate Brady’s Arlington, had all of the woodwork in his home cut and ripped on location, as is evident by the rough back on the wood. Immaculately restored, the home sports the original wood fretwork archway between a spacious living room and dining room and a pentagonal sun room on the south side of the house.
8. WILSON HOUSE (1003 North Denver Avenue) 1913
Wilson HouseThis one-story, Prairie Style house of J.B. Wilson has a red, round tile, hipped roof and buff brick exterior walls. The front entrance is an open foyer with a glassed ceiling (much like a sky light), giving a Spanish courtyard influence. It has a full-width, wraparound, front porch and wide soffited eave overhangs with decorative braces typical of the vernacular Prairie style. It was once the residence of oilman J. B. “Diamond Jim” Wilson.
9. RUDISILL HOUSE (1102 North Denver Avenue) 1915
Rudisill HouseThe Rudisill home was built by Tulsa philanthropist Hubban Rudisill, whose name was given to the Rudisill North Regional Library. This home is a large American Foursquare with a gabled front porch supported by pairs of Corinthian columns. The front entrance is topped with an original leaded glass fanlight, and flanked by leaded glass sidelights. The spacious home still glows with its original gasolier-electrolier light fixtures complete with their original, art glass globes.
10. LATIMER HOUSE (1103 North Denver Avenue) 1910
Latimer HouseThe Latimer House is a one and one-half story house with Queen Anne Victorian detailing. It has a curvilinear porch with a tower roof treatment. It has terra cotta cartouche in the front gable of the front porch, and a multi-gabled roof. The house is clad in brick which has been painted in recent years. One front gable is clad in shingles. It has round column, front porch supports. This is the only house of its kind in the area.
11. MINCKS HOUSE (1145 North Cheyenne Avenue) 1921
Mincks HouseI. S. Mincks, builder of the Mincks Hotel (now the Adams Hotel) and owner of the Mecca Coffee Company, lived in this two-story, brick and frame home in the northeast section of Brady Heights. He later moved to a smaller home in the 900 block of North Cheyenne Avenue after being forced to declare bankruptcy. The house is a two-story Craftsman with a multi-gabled roof and a wraparound, front porch. It has an uncoursed, granite, retaining wall.
12. GROSSHART SANITARIUM (636 North Cheyenne Avenue) 1909
This building, located at the corner of Cheyenne Avenue and Golden Streets on one of the highest hills in Tulsa, was one of the city’s first hospitals. This privately-owned hospital, which specialized in the treatment of tuberculosis, operated from 1909 until 1916.
13. LOUGHTON HOUSE (625 North Cheyenne Avenue) 1906
Loughton HouseThis quintessential, red brick cottage home is one of the oldest homes in Tulsa. Notable features of the house include the original tin fretwork on the front porch and tall, arch-topped windows, typical of the period. The house was occupied at one time by Zenia Loughton, one of the few female photographers of the era. However, it is best remembered for the Reuter Murder of 1912. Prominent Tulsa attorney Charles T. Reuter was shot to death by his wife, Laura, in the upstairs bedroom.
14. PRE-STATEHOOD HOUSE (604 North Cheyenne Avenue) 1904
Pre-Statehood HouseThis Art Nouveau styled home boasts foot-thick brick and stucco walls. Notable features include a ceramic tile front porch, solid oak entry and sidelights, stained glass windows on the southern exposure and exposed oak beans and trim. The original light fixtures and sconces also remain. It was restored by the HOW Foundation in 1987 and is now a private residence.

« Back to Brady Heights Historic District