Districts in the National Register of Historic Places
Stonebraker Heights Historic District
Primary Residential Construction: 1910-1922
District Boundary Map | Sample Properties | Printable BookletsBoundries: North: 15th Street East: Alley btwn Cheyenne & Boulder Ave South: 17st Street/16th Place West: Elwood Avenue
The Stonebraker Heights Historic District is a cohesive collection of leading architectural styles in Tulsa during the time frame of 1910 to 1922. The large number of two-story houses indicate that the Stonebraker Heights Addition was indeed one of “Tulsa’s most exclusive residential developments.” The district maintains a good degree of integrity, both in terms of individual buildings and neighborhood design.
Dominated by the Bungalow/Craftsman style, the district also contains a notable percentage of Prairie School and Colonial Revival style homes. Overall, these styles are compatible in terms of size, building materials, feeling and association and reflect popular architectural trends of the period. Providing additional variety to the district is that even the houses classified as the same style are not identical. Thus, the Stonebraker Heights Historic District is an unreplicatable expression of period architecture in Tulsa.
Several advertisements for homes in the Stonebraker Heights area in the late teens and early twenties make reference to available “modern servants quarters,” as well as note the presence of garages. Also noteworthy is that the garages in the neighborhood were not just single car edifices. A house advertised by the firm of Jenkins & Terwilleger in 1918 featured a two car garage and an advertisement run by the Blair Brothers in 1921 for a “…beautiful east front home…” noted the three car garage among the houses amenities.
All of the north-south streets (Cheyenne, Carson, Denver and Elwood) and three of the east-west streets (15th, 16th and 17th) in the district are as they were originally named. West 16th Place, the only block-long street in the district, was originally named Naharky Place. The 1915 Sanborn Map recorded the name of the street as Harkey Place, which was probably a misspelling of Naharky. The subsequent 1939 Sanborn Map notes the change of name to West 16th Place while also incorrectly recording the former name of the street as “Naharkey.”
Stonebraker Heights was listed in the National Register of Historic Places on September 6, 2007 under National Register criteria C. Its NRIS number is 07000917.Subdivisions
Representation in Existing SurveysNational Register of Historic Places — September 6, 2007 Intensive Level Survey — September 2005 Reconnaissance Survey — June 1978; June 1991; May 2004