Districts in the National Register of Historic Places
Gillette Historic District
Primary Residential Construction: 1922-1941
District Boundary Map | Sample Properties | Printable BookletsBoundries: North: 15th Street East: What would be the alley between Gillette Avenue and South Lewis Avenue South: 17th Street West: What would be the alley between Yorktown Place and Yorktown Avenue
The Gillette District is comprised of thirty-one single family residences and six duplexes built between 1922 and 1941. These original structures established the original integrity of the district. Five additional residences have been built within the past ten years. The most dominant new buildings are four single-family residences directly south of the Gillette Mansion.
The buildings in this district are generally large, traditional, two-story buildings on large lots along the boulevard-style South Yorktown Place. The most dominant building is the Gillette Mansion, built by J. M. Gillette. This mansion appears to have established a general character for the district. Many of the subsequent buildings display elements and details similar to those of the Mansion. The buildings along South Gillette Avenue are generally smaller one- and two-story cottage and bungalow styles.
Architecturally, the district is highlighted by the Gillette Mansion at 1521 South Yorktown Place, the McGay residence at 1551 South Yorktown Place, and the 1923 Tulsa World Model Home at 1546 South Yorktown Place. While these are also the most dominant historically, the remainder of the district, especially the residences along South Gillette Avenue, represent the transition from the bungalow style to the cottage style as the dominant form of residential design and construction.
The Tulsa Historic Preservation Office surveyed the area in 1978. In June of 1978, a review committee of national, state, and local preservation experts determined that the Gillette District met the U. S. Department of Interior’s criteria for Historic Preservation District designation. The Gillette Historic District was named to the Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory on January 18, 1979. The community decided to protect the historical integrity of their neighborhood even further by unanimously voting to place it under “Historic Preservation Zoning” in 1989. This zoning application was the first in the City of Tulsa and prevents improper infill, demolition, or rehabilitation within the district.
The Gillette District was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on September 20, 1982. It was listed under National Register Criteria C, and its NRIS number is 82003702.Subdivisions
|Plat No.||Plat Date|
|Seven Acres Place Addition||550||2/7/1922|
Representation in Existing SurveysNational Register of Historic Places — September 20, 1982 Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory — January, 1979 Local Inventory — June, 1978; July, 1991