Districts in the National Register of Historic Places
Buena Vista Park Historic District
Primary Residential Construction: 1913-1933
District Boundary Map | Sample Properties | Printable BookletsBoundries: North: 18th Street East: Rear lot lines of properties on east side of Cheyenne Ave. South: 21st Street West: Riverside Drive/Carson Avenue
The Buena Vista Park Historic District is a small residential district which encompasses portions of three blocks of the original Buena Vista Park Addition platted in 1908 by Charles A. Sanderson. The addition originally consisted of seven irregular shaped blocks. The shape of the blocks reflect the convergence of the grid pattern of land development with the reality of the Arkansas River.
As originally platted, South Carson Avenue was called Myrtle Avenue, West 18th Street was Hickory Avenue and West 19th Street was May Avenue. By 1915, Myrtle and Hickory avenues had been renamed to their current names. West 19th Street, however, was not named according to the 1915 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map. Within two years, as recorded on the Aaronson’s Subdivision plat, May Avenue had become West 19th Street.
Although conceived in the early boom days of the first decade of the twentieth century, building activity in the addition was slow until the late teens and early 1920s. The single family homes constructed along South Cheyenne and Carson avenues in this area form an excellent collection of houses built for the upper middle and upper class during this time.
Initiating a trend along the riverfront portion of this area of Tulsa, three brick apartment buildings were constructed along Riverside Drive and Nineteenth Street between 1923 and 1924. In addition to having ready access to downtown Tulsa, this locale also afforded tenants with a striking view of the Arkansas River. These apartments are also notable as relatively early examples of multiple family dwellings designed in the popular residential styles of the day.
There are a total of thirty resources in the Buena Vista Park Historic District. All of these resources are residential in nature. Notably, one of these, the James Alexander Veasey House at 1802 South Cheyenne Avenue, was individually listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1989 for its architectural significance as a local landmark example of the Colonial Revival style.
Overall, the Buena Vista Park Historic District represents a noteworthy collection of residential architecture in Tulsa developed between 1913 and 1933. The district maintains a high degree of integrity and ably reflects the trends in single and multiple family dwellings during the period. Dominated by the Colonial Revival and Prairie School styles, the district also contains good examples of the Bungalow/Craftsman style, as well as an outstanding, upper class Italian Renaissance style home.
Buena Vista Park was listed in the National Register of Historic Places on September 6, 2007 under National Register criteria C. Its NRIS number is 07000919.Subdivisions
|Buena Vista Park||1908|
Representation in Existing SurveysNational Register of Historic Places — September 6, 2007 Intensive Level Survey — September 2005 Reconnaissance Survey — June 1978; June 1991; May 2004