Buildings in the National Register of Historic Places
1802 South Cheyenne Avenue (map it)
In keeping with its Colonial Revival style, the Veasey house has a simplicity of detailing and tailored design, meshing the most basic motifs of the period. It is a two-story Colonial Revival building with a pitched roof, covered with composition shingles. The house, constructed of clapboard siding and painted white, is “T”-shaped in plan. The gabled roof has cornice returns, dentil molding, and modillions on all eaves and rakes. A dormer with traceried windows dominates the roof and is centered above the entry. There is one exterior chimney and one interior chimney, both of natural brick finish.
The Veasey House is significant to Tulsa for its historical association with James Alexander Veasey, the founder of Holland Hall School. Veasey built the house in 1912, after settling in Tulsa. He originally came to Oklahoma as a lawyer for the Dawes Commission. He lived in the building from 1912 until 1938, when he retired as Chief Counsel of Carter Oil Company, a subsidiary of Standard Oil Company of New Jersey.
The Veasey House was listed in the National Register on July 27, 1989. It was listed under National Register Criteria C, and its NRIS number is 89001006.