Buildings in the National Register of Historic Places
United States Post Office and Courthouse
224 South Boulder Avenue (map it)
Built: 1915 - 17
This building was originally two stories in height and did not extend all the way to Second Street. Constructed of limestone with terra cotta ornamentation, the building’s dominant features are 22 natural limestone Corinthian columns on the facade. These two-story columns support a full, limestone denticulated entablature that continues around the north and south walls and partially on the west elevation. The building is topped with a terra cotta cornice that has an acanthus leaf motif. The fenestration pattern is symmetrical, in keeping with the Classical Revival style.
One of the features of the building was an “ammoniac apparatus that cooled water to ice-coldness.” This device took water from the Arkansas River, purified it and chilled it so that “ice-cold water” was available in all parts of the building for drinking from bubble fountains. Between 1930 and 1932, the building was expanded by a 160 foot addition to the north side and a third story was added. The addition employed the same materials and was not discernible from the original.
This building was listed in the National Register on March 24, 2000. It was listed under Criterion A and C and its NRIS number is 00000244.