Buildings in the National Register of Historic Places
1916 East 47th Street (map it)
This house, designed by Robert Lawton Jones, marked the first appearance of Miesian influenced International Style residential architecture in Oklahoma. “International Style” or “Modernism,” are actually American terms, from a 1932 Museum of Modern Art (New York City) exhibition and book. The exhibition was entitled, oddly enough, “Modern Architecture” and the term stuck.
The property consists of a single-story, flat-roofed, 2800 square foot house and a partially walled carport that are connected visually by a stone wall along the side of the entry approach. The house used innovative energy conservation for 1959, including a well-water cooling system, large roof overhangs, and a continuous ventilation slot provided under the metal roof. With the exception of the Bavinger House by Bruce Goff, no other Oklahoma residence constructed in the last 50 years has received such recognition. Jones was the project manager and principal designer for the Civic Center Master Plan for the City of Tulsa. The house was designed about the same time as the Tulsa International Airport that was also designed by Jones. The similarities between the house and the airport are striking.
The Jones House was listed in the National Register on December 13, 2001. It was listed under Criterion C and its NRIS number is 01001355.