Buildings in the National Register of Historic Places
409 South Boston Avenue (map it)
The Cosden Building was constructed on the site of the first Tulsa schoolhouse, which was a mission school established in 1885 on Creek Indian Nation land.
The fifteen-story building was Tulsa’s first skyscraper. It was also one of the earliest reinforced concrete buildings in the United States.
The basic design was Sullivanesque, but a Venetian Gothic terra cotta skin was applied to the building. The building was a gesture toward progressive design in a young city, and an interpretation of the “commercial cathedrals” of the age. The Cosden Building is the cornerstone of Boston Avenue’s older financial and corporate office buildings. This million-dollar building symbolized the flamboyance of Tulsa’s oil barons during a period of enormous growth and prosperity.
The Cosden Building was listed in the National Register on February 1, 1979. It was listed under National Register Criteria B and C, and its NRIS number is 79002029.