Art Deco Buildings in Tulsa
Boulder on the Park
1850 South Boulder Avenue (map it)
Charles A. Sanderson and Roy Wesley Sanderson originally constructed this building for Holland Hall School. Waite Phillips, W.G. Skelly and George S. Bole, along with several others, backed the project financially. The building was originally constructed with 9 classrooms, a shop, gymnasium, assembly auditorium, offices, and a chemical laboratory. The property was purchased by Aero Exploration Company in 1938. It was later sold to KTUL Radio, a CBS affiliate, and Tulsa Broadcasting Company. KTUL remodeled the building internally and externally, converting the appearance to its current “Art Moderne” theme. KTUL broadcasted on 1430 AM from their Boulder studios from 1947-1955. Besides the remodeling and placement of radio towers and neon KTUL signs, the phrase “Boulder on the Park” was coined on the air during broadcasts.
Boulder on the Park was listed in the National Register on September 2, 2003. It was listed under Criteria A and its NRIS number is 03000872. « Back to List of Art Deco Buildings